2 Mar 2010

All Love Is Equal

Posted by PastryPrincess at 02:00
No food today, just an important message.
Sydney is a gay capital. I've never seen so many gays in my life! Especially because the annual Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras is on at the moment and it's been a lot of peaceful fun. If you see two cute guys walking their dog down the street chances are they're gay. That's just how it is over here, they're out and proud and I love it! For some reason I'm fascinated by the gay, lesbian and transsexual community and I've wanted to have a gay best friend ever since the days of Sex and the City when Carrie and Stanford gossiped about boys and fashion - fabulous!

The gay rights movement is a cause I strongly believe in and I wished gays all over the world were as accepted and integrated in society as in Sydney. How can you judge a person solely based on who they fall in love with? Love is unconditional, it doesn't care about either age, race, colour or gender and it should be celebrated in any case. Particularly in these times where people die in natural disasters and people lose their possessions in the financial crisis, never mind the on-going wars and poverty in different parts of the world. If love were all that's left at the end of the day we should be happy and should surround ourselves with our loved-ones because when it comes down to the nitty-gritty they're the most important part of our lives...

Do you make a difference in loving either men or women? Do you not love your mother & father, brother & sister, girlfriend & boyfriend, male & female friends the same way and not differently because of their gender? I know I don't differentiate and why would I, we're all people and we all want to love and be loved back. I could just aswell have turned out to be gay, it's 50/50 and I wouldn't be a lesser person.

Maybe I'm this liberal and can be this liberal because I'm not religious... who knows. The bible and any other religious document can be interpreted in any way and for any cause and if people want to underline their statements, no matter what they might be, they will find a way of twisting and turning the message of these documents to make them fit their purpose. Therefore I won't even try to get into the whole deathly sin versus love thy other debate because it's pointless. Make of it what you want because no matter what I say I won't be able to change your mind if it's already made up one way or the other.

But what I can do is ask you for respect. If you think you can't accept the life choices other people make even though they don't necessarily concern you - who cares what you do behind closed doors after all? - the least you can do is show some respect, the same respect they offer you.
Ignorance is the root of all evil, I really believe that. People start wars and hate campaigns out of ignorance, meaning out of fear of the unknown. Race, religion, sexuality, you name it. Of course things we don't know anything about intimidate us because we don't know what to expect and we all like to control what's happening to and around us. The only way out is education and information to lift this cloud of ignorance that's fogging our view.

Take stereotypes, clichés and pre-maturely constructed mindsets for instance. Those clichés make people believe that most gays are flamboyant, lesbians are butch, they're promiscuous, take drugs, spread aids and try to turn around heterosexuals at every chance they get. What a big pile of rubbish! Look around at the people near you, anyone of them could be gay and do they look like it? Probably not. I'm not denying that there are flamboyant and butch gays or those who are a bit slutty, go clubbing and take drugs. There's always two sides to a coin and there are heterosexuals behaving the same way, too. I'm trying to open your eyes for the other side though, the one with people like you and me, people who are in a loving, committed relationship or looking for one, who want families, who are part of society and who want to have the same rights as heterosexuals and why would we deny them that?

It's a fact that there has been homosexuality since the beginnings of mankind and even before. As long as there's been love, there's been gay love. Just think of ancient greeks... if it was socially acceptable and out in the open literally thousands of years ago, why would we want to go back to being backward? Did you know that even animals can be homosexual? It's scientifically proven and only shows once more that heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality are eq uallynatural. Homosexuality is here for good because it's not a choice you make, it's the way you were born and so people might aswell come to terms with it, once and for all. It's nature!

Nobody bats an eyelid anymore when an old git marries a young girl who could be his great-grand-daughter. Or if somebody gets married and divorced for the umpteenth time. Or if a couple marries drunkenly or even high in Las Vegas. Or if young teenage girls in the Middle East are force-married to their uncles or traded for a few camels or an African head of tribe has 27 wives. I'm not joking. If you're a drug-taking, abusive, antisocial, not tax-paying convict for example you certainly can get married and you've all rights in the world.

So why do you not have those same rights if you're a responsible, hard-working, committed and all around good person just because of whom your in love with?! There's something really very wrong with that. You aren't able to influence who you fall in love with, do you? If you do have that talent then good on you but as far as I'm concerned it's unheard of. I don't care why I love the people I love, I'm just happy I do. Love is great, there can never be enough love. No matter what kind at all. All love is equal, just think about it. That's all I'm asking for. Inform yourself before you make up your mind and put yourself in other people's shoes. That's something we all should do much more often anyway...
Be open-minded! Welcome to the 21st century.

Equal Love = Equal Rights.

2 comments on "All Love Is Equal"

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on 5 March 2010 at 02:06 said...

I couldn't agree more! Great post PP! :)

Pumpkin on 5 March 2010 at 03:40 said...

I agree totally! Love is love, no matter who it's with!

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks so much for reading my blog. :) You're more than welcome to leave comments: I'm very interested in what you're thinking and would love to hear from you!

 

Imperfections of a Pastry Princess Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez